Skip to main content

The homeless in Tampa

I see it every day in Tampa. They seem to be at every intersection. Their pleas for help are drawn on the back of cardboard and they seem as common as the traffic lights themselves. Who are these people? What led them to the streets? Should I give them money? Whatever is going on in America is driving people to the street corners, and in Florida, the broiling afternoon sun to try and survive.

Some people subscribe to the Urban Myth of the homeless guy “Flying a Sign” and making a couple hundred a day and then going home to his spread in the suburbs. I don’t know about that. Flying a sign does not seem to be a very profitable activity, considering the competition today. Some people believe we should give them a bag with some lame ass crackers and directions to a social center inside instead of money. I think the condition that exist today cannot be solved by directions to a county office. It is more chronic than that

A few years ago, I considered these people to be bums. Nowadays, I’m not so sure. Driving my cab for 12 hours a day, makes me familiar with these people. I don’t think they are bums, they are the homeless and the unemployed. The ones I have talked to HAVE NO JOB. Simple.

A homeless guy named “Billy” hangs out at the Hyde Park taxi stand #21. He talks to the drivers and seems normal. He is just “down on his luck.“ He claims to have been homeless for years and often panhandles for money. He survives, but that’s about all he does. He has found places around downtown to get food. Some are better than others, but most will feed you and give you some sandwiches to take with you. That helps them for today. What about tomorrow.

Billy goes on Sundays to an old venerable church near down town called Hyde Park United Methodist. They feed the homeless on Sundays with a hot buffet of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, hotcakes, juice, fruit and so forth. The dichotomy this creates is that this act of kindness is in the shadow of swanky high rise condominiums and Bayshore Mansions.

Many of the people that eat at this church, hang out and sleep on Bayshore and many of the buildings in East Hyde Park. They are now calling this area Homeless Hyde Park. It is a problem that is getting worse as time goes on. The homeless women Missy Sjostrom was killed by a hit-and-run driver in this area one night while crossing the street at the base of the Davis Island bridge, another area were rich people live. The young women that hit her has rich parents and they hired a good lawyer to protect her from the legal system.

What these people need is HOPE and CHANGE. Maybe, one day, someone will come along and actually do something that will give real hope to these people, like a job and a place to live.

My understanding is that we are in the worst economy since 1936. Over 250,000 more people lost their jobs in America last month, and there seems to be no end in site. The unemployment rate is 9.8% and climbing. There are no jobs. Face it people.

The homeless people need work, money, health insurance and drug counseling. Giving them some lame crackers thru the window of your car is not helping them. You say you don’t want to enable these people since they may have an alcohol problem. You might be, but you are enabling them to live and keep going on. That is more kind.

Comments

  1. As many as 1 in four homeless people are employed either full or part time, and less than 10% of homeless are homeless by choice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts Last 30 days

FUCK UBER

Listen, you Uber fuckers, you screwheads. You are stealing my shit. I tried to be rational (What's that?). But not now. I am a man who will not take it anymore. A man who stands up against the scum, the cunts, the dogs, the filth, the shit. I am a man who stands up. Look at it this way. A man takes a job, you know? And that job - I mean, like that - That becomes what he is. You know, like - You do a thing and that's what you are. Like I've been a cabbie for nineteen years. Ten years at night. I still don't own my own cab. You know why? Because I don't want to. That must be what I want. To be on the night shift drivin' somebody else's cab. You understand? I mean, you become - You get a job, you become the job. One guy lives in a shit hole, another lives on drugs. You pick up a lawyer. Another guy's a doctor. Another guy dies. Another guy gets well. People are born, y'know? Why do you want to drive Uber? You think you can avoid your destiny? You'l...

The Taxi Truman Show

I may have found the escape hatch Regulated Taxi driving is now dead. Uber has taken over. The current situation is no longer tenable for drivers who face an old model of cab leasing, and can no longer continue paying a Pre-Uber lease. Today was the tipping point. This time of year we should be very busy...EXTREMLY BUSY. We are not. It is dead as a doornail with drivers at the airport waiting up to 5 hours to a ride. It should be off the hook. It is for Uber. They pay no fee to the airport, yet they are allowed to operate. I made a good living for years. Transportation was regulated in Hillsborough County. This insured uniformity or rates, insurance, and accountability. But no more. The HCPTC has now allowed a gypsy cab company take over. Uber has not only taken some or part of our business - they have taken it all. This is because they are low balling the market in an attempt to establish a monopoly. They are well on their way to doing that with the compl...

How Uber is hurting workers

Robert Reich is an economist who worked in Bill Clinton's cabinet. His problem with Uber and the "shared economy" is no sharing is going on. The worker absorbs all cost and risk, for less than minimum wage.

Sleeping with the enemy

I sort of stick out in this sea of pink I always seem to get on TV. This is Tim Fasano (in the yellow shirt with camera) sitting in the room full of Lyft and Uber drivers. Did you ever feel really alone? These rideshare people are operating an illegal business that is cutting into my livelyhood, and I wanted the Hillsborough County Commission to know it. The Lyft drivers are a bunch of punks and  kids who have never worked a day in their lives. They will get whats coming to them. How do you spell douchebags? You will see me in the video shown on the local news.

The Party Cab

I've seen this guy at Tampa airport before. He is the Party Cab Guy. The inside even has a disco light and he plays club music as he takes people out to party. Paul Hinton, manager at United Cab, said he remembers the guy from St. Petersburg. The Party Cab dude is personable and the chicks dig him. Paul thinks he is from Turkey and has a beautiful wife. I noticed he was wearing eye liner. Just another eclectic guy that drives taxi for a living. I saw him again today and he gave me his card. Thus dude is high energy and he puts a lot into it. It shows real ambition. Strange. Taxi driving is not an ambitious man's pursuit. However, I think he is independent which means he pays no high lease to the taxi overlords.  He is expending that energy in something that will really pay off. Good for him.

Key West Uber drivers face arrest

Uber faces another battle for its drivers in South Florida. Uber drivers in Key West will face arrest and a possible $500 fine if caught driving without a passenger vehicle-for-hire license, following a city ordinance that went into effect on July 1. The ordinance, which city commissioners approved last year, says it is illegal for Uber or any other ride service to operate passenger vehicles-for-hire without the proper licenses. Key West spokeswoman Alyson Crean said drivers without this license can be arrested, although no arrests have been made. Crean says the ordinance has to do with city liability, since Uber takes passengers on city roads. Uber uses freelance drivers operating their own vehicles; passengers hire them via an app. Uber spokesman Bill Gibbons says the company hopes Key West officials rethink the ordinance. "It is unconscionable that [Key West] would seek to limit safe, reliable transportation ahead of one of the deadliest weekends of the year for dru...

I voted

I voted for Rick Scott for Florida Governor. I felt he has done a responsible job. The state actually has a financial surplus because Scott cut all the pork out. We are not California which is insolvent after all the giveaway programs to poor Obama voters. Scott has kept regulations and taxes low creation a favorable business climate where firms are beginning to view Florida like Texas. Florida is poised for a massive boom. This is now going to be the place to be. I voted against the medical marijuana bill, as I did all constitutional amendments. The bills were vaguely worded and I believe deception was used to disguise their true intent. posted from Bloggeroid

National Taxi strike called for October 26, 2014 against Uber & Lyft

Following the crowd is the opposite of the Uber Man...They want your mind...don't let them have it! There is more at stake then a ride to work. The battle for man's mind has begun. The Internet has made many things possible and reacting with incomplete information has had a debilitating effect on peoples behaviour and mental acuity. The ability to assess facts accurately has been diminished. When wide swaths of hipsters chose to use a ride share company because it has a slick app, without considering the consequences to society, then harm is being done. Ignoring that modern society is structured by law - they proceed anyway. This course must be redirected Back in the dark ages, villagers and townspeople would often react to a rumor and then take action swiftly to bring justice upon the presumed guilty party without waiting for the authorities to resolve it. The more emotionally attached people were to the crime, the less real or confirmed information they needed to follow...

The summer solstice

This was sunrise Sunday beginning the longest day of the year. First light gets the birds riled early and the late darkness keeps this cab driver up late. Unfortunately, I need to get up earlier every day because goon cab drivers are trying to take my morning special from me. This morning, Jackamino (372) checked in at 3:57 for my call which will not come out until after six. For me to beat him, I would have to go to bed around seven p.m. like I was a little kid. The late sunset is making that a little bit difficult. posted from Bloggeroid

Its not season

I don't care what any driver says, we ARE NOT having a tourist season. Cruise ship passengers on the weekend does not make a season. Its Monday morning and no airport flights are going out, just like all last week. I am not making money. I am on the brink of eviction. I owe the company money. I am wearing dirty clothes because I don't have the 5 bucks for Landry. I have nothing and I work 7 days a week, 10 hours a day. Something is wrong.