Skip to main content

Redlining practices of Uber and Lyft exclude Black People

Uber and Lyft are companies formed in Lilly white silicon valley, by Lilly white computer geeks, who would not know what the hood looked like even if they ventured into Oakland. They have put together a business model that is for white people, and excludes blacks, and most poor people. Their intent is to only cheery pick the best, and richest fares in any community, and Redline the hood and poor areas. 

This is easily done by allowing the drivers to not only choose where they work, but allow them to choose who they will pick up. The driver can rate the customer and, then, nobody will pick them up. If the rider does not tip (which is cultural and common with inner city people), they will get a bad rating and no Uber or Lyft guy will pick them up. I must pick them up even if they don't tip. A typical attitude of a Lyft rider is like the comment left on this site. 
You have to accept the new and ever changing world of technology and what people are comfortable with. Most people do not want to have to call for a cab anymore and be treated with disrespect over the phone by the cab company operators and then wait for thirty minutes for the cab to show up with a driver from a third world country running the meter. Uber is the computer and taxis are the typewriter! If you continue to pay the cab company a lease every week you are going to be broke and left behind!
That is his way of saying white. What is a shame is this person is probably a democrat and thinks he is hip, urban, and with the program. He probably thinks he is not a racist because he knows a black guy at work.
The practice of “redlining” has been utilized for decades by industries ranging fromsupermarkets to banking. But if brick and mortar stores engage in a kind of quiet discrimination by simply choosing not to opt in to low-income or minority neighborhoods, companies like Uber, which are highly scalable and inherently mobile, make conscious decisions to purposefully opt out of entire neighborhoods from their service areas.
Technology companies in particular, born in the lily-white incubators of Silicon Valley and Alley, are increasingly coming under fire for their questionable relationships to minority communities. Most recently, the makers of smartphone app Sketch Factor, which advises users which neighborhoods are “sketchy,” faced harsh criticism for stoking racial profiling by flagging predominantly minority neighborhoods.
These are practices that I believe when people become aware of Uber will have to account. Even better, people will stop using such racist services.

Comments

  1. I don't think taxi companies should count on PTC or local law enforcement to protect their interests that much and they should be more proactive.
    eg.
    hire own taxi drivers to head hunt uber and Lyft drivers in exchange for half a lease per head? or some other monetary reward.........
    this is small investment, if you consider the idea, that 10 years from now, there might be no taxis, but Uber-Walmart and Lyft-Facebook cartels

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it. John D. Rockefeller tactics of elimination of all competitors. Primitive capitalism leads to monopolies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a driver for lyft and I never refuse a customer based on race (if they have a pic on their profile) or location. So about the rating and tipping: cash tipping is not commonplace and is extremely rare (less than 1% according to my experience). While lyft does implement a tipping system into the app, we must give the rider a rating immediately before knowing if they tipped or accepting additional rides and we cannot alter that rating later. From me, low ratings go to riders who disrespect me or my car. But in general, consistently bad ratings will go to douchers. Basically My roommate also drives for uber which implements no tipping system and he says cash tips are also rare. I understand the necessity to bash us to maintain your livelihood. If it makes you feel better lyft and uber drivers will be replaced by self-driving cars in the next couple decades so we have a timer on our heads too. Oh and I'm really impressed with your 1975 rating...I only got up to 1095 before another game snagged my interest.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts Last 30 days

FUCK UBER

Listen, you Uber fuckers, you screwheads. You are stealing my shit. I tried to be rational (What's that?). But not now. I am a man who will not take it anymore. A man who stands up against the scum, the cunts, the dogs, the filth, the shit. I am a man who stands up. Look at it this way. A man takes a job, you know? And that job - I mean, like that - That becomes what he is. You know, like - You do a thing and that's what you are. Like I've been a cabbie for nineteen years. Ten years at night. I still don't own my own cab. You know why? Because I don't want to. That must be what I want. To be on the night shift drivin' somebody else's cab. You understand? I mean, you become - You get a job, you become the job. One guy lives in a shit hole, another lives on drugs. You pick up a lawyer. Another guy's a doctor. Another guy dies. Another guy gets well. People are born, y'know? Why do you want to drive Uber? You think you can avoid your destiny? You'l...

The Taxi Truman Show

I may have found the escape hatch Regulated Taxi driving is now dead. Uber has taken over. The current situation is no longer tenable for drivers who face an old model of cab leasing, and can no longer continue paying a Pre-Uber lease. Today was the tipping point. This time of year we should be very busy...EXTREMLY BUSY. We are not. It is dead as a doornail with drivers at the airport waiting up to 5 hours to a ride. It should be off the hook. It is for Uber. They pay no fee to the airport, yet they are allowed to operate. I made a good living for years. Transportation was regulated in Hillsborough County. This insured uniformity or rates, insurance, and accountability. But no more. The HCPTC has now allowed a gypsy cab company take over. Uber has not only taken some or part of our business - they have taken it all. This is because they are low balling the market in an attempt to establish a monopoly. They are well on their way to doing that with the compl...

Sleeping with the enemy

I sort of stick out in this sea of pink I always seem to get on TV. This is Tim Fasano (in the yellow shirt with camera) sitting in the room full of Lyft and Uber drivers. Did you ever feel really alone? These rideshare people are operating an illegal business that is cutting into my livelyhood, and I wanted the Hillsborough County Commission to know it. The Lyft drivers are a bunch of punks and  kids who have never worked a day in their lives. They will get whats coming to them. How do you spell douchebags? You will see me in the video shown on the local news.

How Uber is hurting workers

Robert Reich is an economist who worked in Bill Clinton's cabinet. His problem with Uber and the "shared economy" is no sharing is going on. The worker absorbs all cost and risk, for less than minimum wage.

The Party Cab

I've seen this guy at Tampa airport before. He is the Party Cab Guy. The inside even has a disco light and he plays club music as he takes people out to party. Paul Hinton, manager at United Cab, said he remembers the guy from St. Petersburg. The Party Cab dude is personable and the chicks dig him. Paul thinks he is from Turkey and has a beautiful wife. I noticed he was wearing eye liner. Just another eclectic guy that drives taxi for a living. I saw him again today and he gave me his card. Thus dude is high energy and he puts a lot into it. It shows real ambition. Strange. Taxi driving is not an ambitious man's pursuit. However, I think he is independent which means he pays no high lease to the taxi overlords.  He is expending that energy in something that will really pay off. Good for him.

Key West Uber drivers face arrest

Uber faces another battle for its drivers in South Florida. Uber drivers in Key West will face arrest and a possible $500 fine if caught driving without a passenger vehicle-for-hire license, following a city ordinance that went into effect on July 1. The ordinance, which city commissioners approved last year, says it is illegal for Uber or any other ride service to operate passenger vehicles-for-hire without the proper licenses. Key West spokeswoman Alyson Crean said drivers without this license can be arrested, although no arrests have been made. Crean says the ordinance has to do with city liability, since Uber takes passengers on city roads. Uber uses freelance drivers operating their own vehicles; passengers hire them via an app. Uber spokesman Bill Gibbons says the company hopes Key West officials rethink the ordinance. "It is unconscionable that [Key West] would seek to limit safe, reliable transportation ahead of one of the deadliest weekends of the year for dru...

I voted

I voted for Rick Scott for Florida Governor. I felt he has done a responsible job. The state actually has a financial surplus because Scott cut all the pork out. We are not California which is insolvent after all the giveaway programs to poor Obama voters. Scott has kept regulations and taxes low creation a favorable business climate where firms are beginning to view Florida like Texas. Florida is poised for a massive boom. This is now going to be the place to be. I voted against the medical marijuana bill, as I did all constitutional amendments. The bills were vaguely worded and I believe deception was used to disguise their true intent. posted from Bloggeroid

Its not season

I don't care what any driver says, we ARE NOT having a tourist season. Cruise ship passengers on the weekend does not make a season. Its Monday morning and no airport flights are going out, just like all last week. I am not making money. I am on the brink of eviction. I owe the company money. I am wearing dirty clothes because I don't have the 5 bucks for Landry. I have nothing and I work 7 days a week, 10 hours a day. Something is wrong.

National Taxi strike called for October 26, 2014 against Uber & Lyft

Following the crowd is the opposite of the Uber Man...They want your mind...don't let them have it! There is more at stake then a ride to work. The battle for man's mind has begun. The Internet has made many things possible and reacting with incomplete information has had a debilitating effect on peoples behaviour and mental acuity. The ability to assess facts accurately has been diminished. When wide swaths of hipsters chose to use a ride share company because it has a slick app, without considering the consequences to society, then harm is being done. Ignoring that modern society is structured by law - they proceed anyway. This course must be redirected Back in the dark ages, villagers and townspeople would often react to a rumor and then take action swiftly to bring justice upon the presumed guilty party without waiting for the authorities to resolve it. The more emotionally attached people were to the crime, the less real or confirmed information they needed to follow...

A Trolly crash on Channelside along with Gasparilla

It was bound to happen. A car hit the trolley on the way to the cruise ship today before the Gasparilla parade. The cross ways are poorly marked, and someone from out of town would not be looking for it, or expect it. Believe me, I have come very close in the past. I always thought those things were a bad idea for nobody rides them, and the conductors come flying through intersections. I wonder who was at fault. We were busy today as the pirate festival kicks off the start of our tourist season. May, 5 will mark the end.You will see me with my Corona beer that day drowning my sorrows for the party is over. That's what really sucks about the seasonal nature of Florida. Today was not a normal Gasparilla day for me. I was working the Westshore area and got three ship runs in a row. They were very nice people from up north that were amazed and loving the beautiful weather we are having. They wondered what all the fuss was about and I explained the pirate heritage of Tamp...