Skip to main content

How Uber is hurting workers

Robert Reich is an economist who worked in Bill Clinton's cabinet. His problem with Uber and the "shared economy" is no sharing is going on. The worker absorbs all cost and risk, for less than minimum wage.

Comments

  1. Moved across the bay?? That is good I guess if you are happy there. Refresh my memory didn't you think when Tom, #123 drove from New Port Richey it was too far to drive. But the gas price is lower today. But heard on the news that the oil is as low as it is going to get. Larry 157

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now on the lighter side with the loss to Tom Brady couldn't happen to a nicer guy. What happened to his 5 game suspicion?? If you watched the game yesterday why didn't he ( Brady )get flagged for the numerous grounding of his passes. Could be like the deflatgate--Larry 157

    ReplyDelete
  3. It takes me fifteen minutes to get from condo and over the causeway. I check into zone while on the bridge. It's all computers today.... Carolina will destroy Denver!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It takes me fifteen minutes to get from condo and over the causeway. I check into zone while on the bridge. It's all computers today.... Carolina will destroy Denver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah you are right about the Super Bowl, but don't the will destroy them. Bronco's have the #1 defense. But I really would like to see the old guy win and get the MVP. Wishful thinking you say well no one thought the Bucs would ever win the Big One either nor would they ever win 6 games in 2015. Later my friend, Larry 157

      Delete
  5. well, usually I subscribe to Reich opinions, but in this case seems like he is giving room for "shared economy" to survive and prosper in the end........
    .....did he sold out to uber?

    Albert Zee / Discount Taxi in St Pete

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting piece about George the Ghostbuster....how much does he charge to chase away evil spirits?

    Not my place that I want to get 'cleansed' the one right next to mine on the south side...the girl that lived there hanged herself a couple of years ago. Since all these units have basically the same floor plans(I am the dude that lives in the same complex as you) you will be familiar with that big beam over the entrance way to the kitchen area...she put a rope around it stood up in a chair and jumped off. I was home at the time and actually heard the thud...but I had no idea what it was of course. I just remember getting a very bad feeling....anyhow the body wasn't discovered until it started stinking a couple of days later...I thought the oder was from the jungle area just west of the fence where a creek runs through...thought it was a dead animal. Finally a neighbor who had not seen her in a couple of days axed Jim da maintance man to check on her...he opened the door and closed it very quickly..I was observing him...he didnt say a thing ...just went directly to the office and called the police.

    Very sad case..the girls mom had died and she also had injured herself at work etc.etc. her boyfriend had dropped her and so on and so forth. A young girl she was...which makes it even worse. I didn't know her well...had only talked to her a few times...but something like that hits you hard.

    Another girl moved in there...but I do not think she knows what happened and I do not want to tell her...since she is a nice girl...she might move out. But i kinda feel in a way I should tell her..I mean if it was me I would want someone to tell me...but perhaps its best not to know...I mean most people that live in condos or any kind of housing for that matter rarely knows who else has lived there or what has transpired before you moved in.

    Maybe George could chase away the evil spirts from a distance like just circling around...maybe circle around this whole section and chase all the evil spirts out of this neck of the woods...kinda like a mass ghost busting, cleansing and chasing sort of thing....chase all of them outta here. I wonder if that is possible?

    I think I will get some holy water and burn some herbs...could not hurt. Maybe sprinkle some on her front porch when she is not home and on her back door step....and all over my unit in case some of them came through the walls and set up shop in here...wouldnt be hard for them to do, I would think...especially since I live wid a crazy woman anyhow. hehheh

    Best of luck out there on the back streets of Tampa and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts Last 30 days

Sleeping with the enemy

I sort of stick out in this sea of pink I always seem to get on TV. This is Tim Fasano (in the yellow shirt with camera) sitting in the room full of Lyft and Uber drivers. Did you ever feel really alone? These rideshare people are operating an illegal business that is cutting into my livelyhood, and I wanted the Hillsborough County Commission to know it. The Lyft drivers are a bunch of punks and  kids who have never worked a day in their lives. They will get whats coming to them. How do you spell douchebags? You will see me in the video shown on the local news.

FUCK UBER

Listen, you Uber fuckers, you screwheads. You are stealing my shit. I tried to be rational (What's that?). But not now. I am a man who will not take it anymore. A man who stands up against the scum, the cunts, the dogs, the filth, the shit. I am a man who stands up. Look at it this way. A man takes a job, you know? And that job - I mean, like that - That becomes what he is. You know, like - You do a thing and that's what you are. Like I've been a cabbie for nineteen years. Ten years at night. I still don't own my own cab. You know why? Because I don't want to. That must be what I want. To be on the night shift drivin' somebody else's cab. You understand? I mean, you become - You get a job, you become the job. One guy lives in a shit hole, another lives on drugs. You pick up a lawyer. Another guy's a doctor. Another guy dies. Another guy gets well. People are born, y'know? Why do you want to drive Uber? You think you can avoid your destiny? You'l...

The Taxi Truman Show

I may have found the escape hatch Regulated Taxi driving is now dead. Uber has taken over. The current situation is no longer tenable for drivers who face an old model of cab leasing, and can no longer continue paying a Pre-Uber lease. Today was the tipping point. This time of year we should be very busy...EXTREMLY BUSY. We are not. It is dead as a doornail with drivers at the airport waiting up to 5 hours to a ride. It should be off the hook. It is for Uber. They pay no fee to the airport, yet they are allowed to operate. I made a good living for years. Transportation was regulated in Hillsborough County. This insured uniformity or rates, insurance, and accountability. But no more. The HCPTC has now allowed a gypsy cab company take over. Uber has not only taken some or part of our business - they have taken it all. This is because they are low balling the market in an attempt to establish a monopoly. They are well on their way to doing that with the compl...

The Party Cab

I've seen this guy at Tampa airport before. He is the Party Cab Guy. The inside even has a disco light and he plays club music as he takes people out to party. Paul Hinton, manager at United Cab, said he remembers the guy from St. Petersburg. The Party Cab dude is personable and the chicks dig him. Paul thinks he is from Turkey and has a beautiful wife. I noticed he was wearing eye liner. Just another eclectic guy that drives taxi for a living. I saw him again today and he gave me his card. Thus dude is high energy and he puts a lot into it. It shows real ambition. Strange. Taxi driving is not an ambitious man's pursuit. However, I think he is independent which means he pays no high lease to the taxi overlords.  He is expending that energy in something that will really pay off. Good for him.

Key West Uber drivers face arrest

Uber faces another battle for its drivers in South Florida. Uber drivers in Key West will face arrest and a possible $500 fine if caught driving without a passenger vehicle-for-hire license, following a city ordinance that went into effect on July 1. The ordinance, which city commissioners approved last year, says it is illegal for Uber or any other ride service to operate passenger vehicles-for-hire without the proper licenses. Key West spokeswoman Alyson Crean said drivers without this license can be arrested, although no arrests have been made. Crean says the ordinance has to do with city liability, since Uber takes passengers on city roads. Uber uses freelance drivers operating their own vehicles; passengers hire them via an app. Uber spokesman Bill Gibbons says the company hopes Key West officials rethink the ordinance. "It is unconscionable that [Key West] would seek to limit safe, reliable transportation ahead of one of the deadliest weekends of the year for dru...

National Taxi strike called for October 26, 2014 against Uber & Lyft

Following the crowd is the opposite of the Uber Man...They want your mind...don't let them have it! There is more at stake then a ride to work. The battle for man's mind has begun. The Internet has made many things possible and reacting with incomplete information has had a debilitating effect on peoples behaviour and mental acuity. The ability to assess facts accurately has been diminished. When wide swaths of hipsters chose to use a ride share company because it has a slick app, without considering the consequences to society, then harm is being done. Ignoring that modern society is structured by law - they proceed anyway. This course must be redirected Back in the dark ages, villagers and townspeople would often react to a rumor and then take action swiftly to bring justice upon the presumed guilty party without waiting for the authorities to resolve it. The more emotionally attached people were to the crime, the less real or confirmed information they needed to follow...

Dana Young is a Liar or very confused about Uber

A very bad person with no honor or integrity I attended a meeting at the hockey arena downtown which was attended by all the Tampa Bay area state senators and representatives. In attendance was one Dana Young (R). When it was her time to speak, so told a story about a young women that was being raped. While the college student was being sexually assaulted, the student hit the Uber app on her phone and the police now knew the GPS coordinates of her location. What MS. Young did not disclose was that it happened on the UCLA campus and that it was an UBER DRIVER THAT WAS RAPING HER! "As students prepare to return to college, one thing female students cannot go without is caution. Assaults, especially sexual assaults, are a haunting part of daily life for so many students. Uber has made that nightmare even more of a reality . We tell our students that getting a driver when they’ve had too much to drink is the responsible course of action — it’...

Its not season

I don't care what any driver says, we ARE NOT having a tourist season. Cruise ship passengers on the weekend does not make a season. Its Monday morning and no airport flights are going out, just like all last week. I am not making money. I am on the brink of eviction. I owe the company money. I am wearing dirty clothes because I don't have the 5 bucks for Landry. I have nothing and I work 7 days a week, 10 hours a day. Something is wrong.

I voted

I voted for Rick Scott for Florida Governor. I felt he has done a responsible job. The state actually has a financial surplus because Scott cut all the pork out. We are not California which is insolvent after all the giveaway programs to poor Obama voters. Scott has kept regulations and taxes low creation a favorable business climate where firms are beginning to view Florida like Texas. Florida is poised for a massive boom. This is now going to be the place to be. I voted against the medical marijuana bill, as I did all constitutional amendments. The bills were vaguely worded and I believe deception was used to disguise their true intent. posted from Bloggeroid