Skip to main content

Occupy Taxi: The Gilded Age of Taxi driving is near

Cabs at Tampa airport.
I am a 19 year United Cab of Tampa driver who likes his job. It has done me well over the years and I have been able to make an honest living. Something now threatens that livelihood - rideshare apps. The illegal Uber and Lyft operations, if successful, will drive the transportation industry to a new Gilded Age of robber barons who control everything and the public welfare is not served. Natural monopolies would develop and you would now have your 1%, with no hope of options for the consumer. It has been a disaster in California and I pray it does not spread. Let me explain.

On the surface, this looks like a simple job: People call or hail for a cab, I pick them up, and take them where there going. However, there is more too it then that. That person is only able to get  into my cab because of the business structure and climate that has been established by regulatory agencies. Without them, it would be pure chaos. Uber and Lyft are determined to operate illegally in Hillsborough County and threaten the community as a whole. Chaos is just a nice way of putting it.

Beneath this simple picture of giving people rides, there are major concerns. There are issues of competition, meter rates, flat rates, free shuttle services, issuing permits (Uber Lyft have none), condition of vehicles, the background of drivers, the health and safety of the community as protected by the Hillsborough County Public Transportation Commission. Adequate insurance becomes a major concern. Even the interdepartmental cooperation between companies and the municipality during major events have worked for the communities advantage. There is no cooperation with the illegal ride share people.

In recent years, we have hosted a Super Bowl and a Republican Convention. The logistics of these events were worked out between the companies and the TPC. All of this aided the flow of the events. Eliminating the TPC or allowing Uber and Lyft to operate as outlaws would be detrimental to the community.

Yes, the commission does set limits on permits (as is done in other industries) It assures adequate numbers of cabs are on the streets and protects jobs. This number is based on population numbers and nothing else.

The taxi meter is there to protect the customer. It measures distance and time and the rate is established by Tallahassee. Therefore, tourist are not ripped off by "high-ball" rates from unlicensed cabs. (Uber calls it "surge pricing")The only flat rate is from the airport to downtown and the rate is clearly stated on a sticker in the cabs window (Lyft has no such sticker).

By only allowing late model cars that are inspected, the public is assured of safety. By requiring high limits of insurance, the public is protected if there is an accident. They will be compensated. The commission has taken care of that.

To be able to drive a taxi in Tampa you must pass a background investigation with law enforcement. You will be run on the FBI computer to verify identity and search for warrants. The public can rest assured that a dangerous criminal is not coming to their house at 5 am to pick up their family. With Uber and lyft, you have no assurance, only a smiling face on an app. Making a decision about who comes to your house based on that is foolish.

Lately there has been an issue of mechanical soundness and cleanliness of taxis in Tampa. This issue is overblown and based on hearsay from a source who has much to gain by allowing the outlaw companies to flourish. I assure you, our cabs are clean and are mechanically sound. They are inspected by the commission on a regular basses. And when the cab gets to old, it must be pulled off fleet by law.

Now I would like to address the very ugly nature of what is really behind Uber and Lyft - RACISM. If you get their app, you will see they are only hanging out in the hipster (white) and upscale areas. Hyde Park and downtown condos (white) are what they cheery pick. The taxi companies cannot cheery pick. We must, by law, serve all of the county 24/7/365. Got it. I cannot refuse to pick up someone because they are black. Uber and Lyft drivers routinely do this. In fact, the customers make decisions of what driver they want based on skin color. Do not try to tell me that does not happen.

Rubio at the Uber headquarters
What gets me is the "save the whales" types and anti "1%" will support Marco Rubio and his un-regulated business model for taxis. That's right? Check out his picture at their headquarters (they are campaign supporters). You did not know you were a tea party guy did you? Why transportation? Can you open a bar and sell liqueur without a license? I don't think so. I don't know what business you are in but if a competitor was kicking your ass, and you found out he was unlicensed! You would scream like a wounded banshee.

So as much as you want to believe you support liberal causes, understand supporting Lyft and Uber is anti jobs across the board. If they drove all taxi companies out of business the result would be a natural monopoly. Think Standard Oil. IBM. Think the Gilded Age. Then, you really would have your 1%. Brought to you by the 99% hipsters.

Comments

  1. Excellent article.....astute analysis of the taxi industry.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts Last 30 days

FUCK UBER

Listen, you Uber fuckers, you screwheads. You are stealing my shit. I tried to be rational (What's that?). But not now. I am a man who will not take it anymore. A man who stands up against the scum, the cunts, the dogs, the filth, the shit. I am a man who stands up. Look at it this way. A man takes a job, you know? And that job - I mean, like that - That becomes what he is. You know, like - You do a thing and that's what you are. Like I've been a cabbie for nineteen years. Ten years at night. I still don't own my own cab. You know why? Because I don't want to. That must be what I want. To be on the night shift drivin' somebody else's cab. You understand? I mean, you become - You get a job, you become the job. One guy lives in a shit hole, another lives on drugs. You pick up a lawyer. Another guy's a doctor. Another guy dies. Another guy gets well. People are born, y'know? Why do you want to drive Uber? You think you can avoid your destiny? You'l...

The Taxi Truman Show

I may have found the escape hatch Regulated Taxi driving is now dead. Uber has taken over. The current situation is no longer tenable for drivers who face an old model of cab leasing, and can no longer continue paying a Pre-Uber lease. Today was the tipping point. This time of year we should be very busy...EXTREMLY BUSY. We are not. It is dead as a doornail with drivers at the airport waiting up to 5 hours to a ride. It should be off the hook. It is for Uber. They pay no fee to the airport, yet they are allowed to operate. I made a good living for years. Transportation was regulated in Hillsborough County. This insured uniformity or rates, insurance, and accountability. But no more. The HCPTC has now allowed a gypsy cab company take over. Uber has not only taken some or part of our business - they have taken it all. This is because they are low balling the market in an attempt to establish a monopoly. They are well on their way to doing that with the compl...

How Uber is hurting workers

Robert Reich is an economist who worked in Bill Clinton's cabinet. His problem with Uber and the "shared economy" is no sharing is going on. The worker absorbs all cost and risk, for less than minimum wage.

Sleeping with the enemy

I sort of stick out in this sea of pink I always seem to get on TV. This is Tim Fasano (in the yellow shirt with camera) sitting in the room full of Lyft and Uber drivers. Did you ever feel really alone? These rideshare people are operating an illegal business that is cutting into my livelyhood, and I wanted the Hillsborough County Commission to know it. The Lyft drivers are a bunch of punks and  kids who have never worked a day in their lives. They will get whats coming to them. How do you spell douchebags? You will see me in the video shown on the local news.

The Party Cab

I've seen this guy at Tampa airport before. He is the Party Cab Guy. The inside even has a disco light and he plays club music as he takes people out to party. Paul Hinton, manager at United Cab, said he remembers the guy from St. Petersburg. The Party Cab dude is personable and the chicks dig him. Paul thinks he is from Turkey and has a beautiful wife. I noticed he was wearing eye liner. Just another eclectic guy that drives taxi for a living. I saw him again today and he gave me his card. Thus dude is high energy and he puts a lot into it. It shows real ambition. Strange. Taxi driving is not an ambitious man's pursuit. However, I think he is independent which means he pays no high lease to the taxi overlords.  He is expending that energy in something that will really pay off. Good for him.

Key West Uber drivers face arrest

Uber faces another battle for its drivers in South Florida. Uber drivers in Key West will face arrest and a possible $500 fine if caught driving without a passenger vehicle-for-hire license, following a city ordinance that went into effect on July 1. The ordinance, which city commissioners approved last year, says it is illegal for Uber or any other ride service to operate passenger vehicles-for-hire without the proper licenses. Key West spokeswoman Alyson Crean said drivers without this license can be arrested, although no arrests have been made. Crean says the ordinance has to do with city liability, since Uber takes passengers on city roads. Uber uses freelance drivers operating their own vehicles; passengers hire them via an app. Uber spokesman Bill Gibbons says the company hopes Key West officials rethink the ordinance. "It is unconscionable that [Key West] would seek to limit safe, reliable transportation ahead of one of the deadliest weekends of the year for dru...

I voted

I voted for Rick Scott for Florida Governor. I felt he has done a responsible job. The state actually has a financial surplus because Scott cut all the pork out. We are not California which is insolvent after all the giveaway programs to poor Obama voters. Scott has kept regulations and taxes low creation a favorable business climate where firms are beginning to view Florida like Texas. Florida is poised for a massive boom. This is now going to be the place to be. I voted against the medical marijuana bill, as I did all constitutional amendments. The bills were vaguely worded and I believe deception was used to disguise their true intent. posted from Bloggeroid

National Taxi strike called for October 26, 2014 against Uber & Lyft

Following the crowd is the opposite of the Uber Man...They want your mind...don't let them have it! There is more at stake then a ride to work. The battle for man's mind has begun. The Internet has made many things possible and reacting with incomplete information has had a debilitating effect on peoples behaviour and mental acuity. The ability to assess facts accurately has been diminished. When wide swaths of hipsters chose to use a ride share company because it has a slick app, without considering the consequences to society, then harm is being done. Ignoring that modern society is structured by law - they proceed anyway. This course must be redirected Back in the dark ages, villagers and townspeople would often react to a rumor and then take action swiftly to bring justice upon the presumed guilty party without waiting for the authorities to resolve it. The more emotionally attached people were to the crime, the less real or confirmed information they needed to follow...

The summer solstice

This was sunrise Sunday beginning the longest day of the year. First light gets the birds riled early and the late darkness keeps this cab driver up late. Unfortunately, I need to get up earlier every day because goon cab drivers are trying to take my morning special from me. This morning, Jackamino (372) checked in at 3:57 for my call which will not come out until after six. For me to beat him, I would have to go to bed around seven p.m. like I was a little kid. The late sunset is making that a little bit difficult. posted from Bloggeroid

Crossfit Training

A slamball, a kettlebell, and a 20 lb dumbbell These are my new toys. In my quest to transform my body, I have incorporated many aspects of the Crossfit theory. They combine combat style cardio with weight training in a dynamic, athletic way. The training is functional. For example, I will be 60 next month. From what I hear, there are people a little older than me that can't even get out of bed in the morning (or don't want to get out of bed in there mommies house). That will not be my fate. The best part of all this, is you can take it outside and enjoy the fresh air. I bring my toys with me. You workout three days in a row, then take one off.