Skip to main content

Julianne Lea 1968-2007

I wrote this on March 5, 2007 when Julliane Lea died:

"I lost the love of my life today. I found Julianne's lifeless body this morning in her condo in Hudson. I had not heard from her since last Thursday. She did not call over the weekend. I am very busy on the weekends and she knows this but always calls. Monday morning I had a bad feeling. This was unlike any other feeling I had ever had. At first, I thought she had found a man in a bar and was with him. Unfortunately, that was not the case.


When I got there today after work, the condo was the same as I left it. The curtain and blinds had not been moved and the light in the hallway was still on. I was very alarmed. I found the maintenance man of the association and he had a master key for the door. It would only work for the door handle and not the dead lock bolt. I knew she was in trouble and kicked the patio door in and from the sliding glass door you could see her body lying on the living room floor thru a crack in the curtain. Why did I not do this Monday. If she was already dead, would that of made a difference? I called 911. It looked like she had fallen and hit her head on the end table near the sofa. The detectives later concluded as much.

I was hoping to write that I had found her today and she was OK. I did not think I was going to have to write her obituary.

Her life was not always happy. She grew up in Tampa and went to King High School. She was extremely bright with a high IQ. She went on to Colombia in New York where her mother was a music professor. She dropped out of school as the conditions of her mental illness took over her life. This was the insidious disease that often kept us apart and ultimately took her life. The problem with Bi Polar disease is their victims don't always live very long. The chemical Maelstrom that is occurring in their brains put such a strain on their internal organs that the often implode from within. In the last two months, she told me she was dying. I just believed it was the alcohol that was talking. Alcoholism is common with this affliction.

She dabbled in modeling for she was very pretty. She never married. Most men were intimidated by her. I was able to maintain an eight year relationship with her that had its bumps. She had left for a couple of years and recently moved into her mothers condo in Hudson. I visited her often but knew something was not right. She would often leave messages on my cell phone with this song in the background "What would you do if you knew you were dying." The feeling I had Monday was real and my worst fears were realized today.

I think of all the things we will miss out on: Marriage, children, vacations, a home, baseball games, Sunday afternoon movies, the beach that she loved so much. All of this has been taken from me by a disease who's ass I would kick if it had material form. I once wrote about Julianne a year ago on this blog. I think it is apropo tonight for it seems almost prophetic of the recent events:

"Today was Gasparilla day. I know how much you liked that day. You were always very creative with costumes. Days like this were the ones you always looked forward to. Today was just another day for me. The memory of you is a reframe constant in my heart. Ever present and never ending with only brief periods of repose from the torment I feel. It is only now that I have only begun to reconcile the events leading to that insidious disease that took you from me.

I went to the pier last week. A place we both enjoyed very much. I left before sunset. That would have been unbearable. For, I could remember that weekend at the beach with you standing at the waters edge as I watched the sun set in your beautiful eyes. With the wind blowing thru your hair you seemed more like a vision. An image of someone I have only seen throughout eternity but only finding you in this existence. You are so beautiful.

I’ve started a blog now. It mostly deals with photography. You where the one that encouraged me to get back into photos. I am taking pictures of birds, ships, buildings and so forth but you are the only image I desire. I hope you don’t think posting this violates your privacy. Even though my blog is new, I think my readers are sophisticated enough to understand.

Mental Illness is a terrible disease. There. I said it. It attacks its victims in the only thing they can control-their minds. Then gradually leaves their victim immobilized form logical and reasonable thought. The doctors could never help. The medicine left you begging for relief. The worst part of this is I COULD NOT HELP YOU. There was nothing I could do. Since you left I am only one more victim in its path.

It’s the not knowing that is the worst. I remember the last time you called me from some unknown place. You didn’t even know where. The confusion was obvious in your voice. You asked me to marry you. I only wish how that could have happened. It was at that moment that I knew that everything was wrong. Everything I had believed in and held up as truth was now cast aside. How could it have been this way? You said you were being held against your will but could not explain how or why. The last anyone knew, it might have been North Carolina. But no one was sure.

I often wake up in the middle of the night thinking you are in danger. I remember a TV program that we both liked called 7 days. It was about time travel. And if the traveler ever got into trouble he was to use the code word “Conundrum.” Remember when I told you that if you ever lost your way and walked into anything-a truck stop, a convenience store a restaurant or roadside motel and you saw that word, or even heard it in a passing conversation, know that I was I trying to call you back home.

I have to grieve Julianne. I have to move on. Almost eighteen months is long enough.

I am listening to one of my favorite songs as I write this Many to Many by Genesis. There is a lyric in the song I think is important: “Oh pretty mama please help me find the key…Oh pretty Mama help me to go free.” I have to go now.

I LOVE YOU Julianne….I always will.

I can only hope you are in a better place now and your suffering is now over. Juli, I will see you in the next life. I often have a dream at night where my mother and father and you are standing on the porch of our two story home back in Newport News and everyone is young and has no disease and I pull up and you are smiling at me and the sense of happiness is indescribably wonderful for I now know we will be together forever.

Take care where you are at now for I know you are with God, and may God hold you in his loving arms until I get there.

posted from Bloggeroid

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts Last 30 days

FUCK UBER

Listen, you Uber fuckers, you screwheads. You are stealing my shit. I tried to be rational (What's that?). But not now. I am a man who will not take it anymore. A man who stands up against the scum, the cunts, the dogs, the filth, the shit. I am a man who stands up. Look at it this way. A man takes a job, you know? And that job - I mean, like that - That becomes what he is. You know, like - You do a thing and that's what you are. Like I've been a cabbie for nineteen years. Ten years at night. I still don't own my own cab. You know why? Because I don't want to. That must be what I want. To be on the night shift drivin' somebody else's cab. You understand? I mean, you become - You get a job, you become the job. One guy lives in a shit hole, another lives on drugs. You pick up a lawyer. Another guy's a doctor. Another guy dies. Another guy gets well. People are born, y'know? Why do you want to drive Uber? You think you can avoid your destiny? You'l...

The Party Cab

I've seen this guy at Tampa airport before. He is the Party Cab Guy. The inside even has a disco light and he plays club music as he takes people out to party. Paul Hinton, manager at United Cab, said he remembers the guy from St. Petersburg. The Party Cab dude is personable and the chicks dig him. Paul thinks he is from Turkey and has a beautiful wife. I noticed he was wearing eye liner. Just another eclectic guy that drives taxi for a living. I saw him again today and he gave me his card. Thus dude is high energy and he puts a lot into it. It shows real ambition. Strange. Taxi driving is not an ambitious man's pursuit. However, I think he is independent which means he pays no high lease to the taxi overlords.  He is expending that energy in something that will really pay off. Good for him.

How Uber is hurting workers

Robert Reich is an economist who worked in Bill Clinton's cabinet. His problem with Uber and the "shared economy" is no sharing is going on. The worker absorbs all cost and risk, for less than minimum wage.

Key West Uber drivers face arrest

Uber faces another battle for its drivers in South Florida. Uber drivers in Key West will face arrest and a possible $500 fine if caught driving without a passenger vehicle-for-hire license, following a city ordinance that went into effect on July 1. The ordinance, which city commissioners approved last year, says it is illegal for Uber or any other ride service to operate passenger vehicles-for-hire without the proper licenses. Key West spokeswoman Alyson Crean said drivers without this license can be arrested, although no arrests have been made. Crean says the ordinance has to do with city liability, since Uber takes passengers on city roads. Uber uses freelance drivers operating their own vehicles; passengers hire them via an app. Uber spokesman Bill Gibbons says the company hopes Key West officials rethink the ordinance. "It is unconscionable that [Key West] would seek to limit safe, reliable transportation ahead of one of the deadliest weekends of the year for dru...

The Taxi Truman Show

I may have found the escape hatch Regulated Taxi driving is now dead. Uber has taken over. The current situation is no longer tenable for drivers who face an old model of cab leasing, and can no longer continue paying a Pre-Uber lease. Today was the tipping point. This time of year we should be very busy...EXTREMLY BUSY. We are not. It is dead as a doornail with drivers at the airport waiting up to 5 hours to a ride. It should be off the hook. It is for Uber. They pay no fee to the airport, yet they are allowed to operate. I made a good living for years. Transportation was regulated in Hillsborough County. This insured uniformity or rates, insurance, and accountability. But no more. The HCPTC has now allowed a gypsy cab company take over. Uber has not only taken some or part of our business - they have taken it all. This is because they are low balling the market in an attempt to establish a monopoly. They are well on their way to doing that with the compl...

Crossfit Training

A slamball, a kettlebell, and a 20 lb dumbbell These are my new toys. In my quest to transform my body, I have incorporated many aspects of the Crossfit theory. They combine combat style cardio with weight training in a dynamic, athletic way. The training is functional. For example, I will be 60 next month. From what I hear, there are people a little older than me that can't even get out of bed in the morning (or don't want to get out of bed in there mommies house). That will not be my fate. The best part of all this, is you can take it outside and enjoy the fresh air. I bring my toys with me. You workout three days in a row, then take one off.

The summer solstice

This was sunrise Sunday beginning the longest day of the year. First light gets the birds riled early and the late darkness keeps this cab driver up late. Unfortunately, I need to get up earlier every day because goon cab drivers are trying to take my morning special from me. This morning, Jackamino (372) checked in at 3:57 for my call which will not come out until after six. For me to beat him, I would have to go to bed around seven p.m. like I was a little kid. The late sunset is making that a little bit difficult. posted from Bloggeroid

The deep end of transportation

I have been diving deep, way deep in the pool. In fact, it has been raining so hard in Tampa, I have needed a snorkel to take my failures on a ride. The rain has been coming down so hard, major rivers have been flooding and people have been told to evacuate their homes. Fortunately I have managed to stay on high ground when I have been working. But when I am at play, I take it to the deep end of the pool. Perhaps, this is a sort of metaphor for living in the deep end of life. I do admit, that I was unexpectedly pushed into the deep end by the ascent of rideshare and uber. This phenomena has left me in a war stance footing. I check my feeds every few hours to see if the judge in Tampa has ruled in favor of the County Transportation Commission. In the world I live in, that would be the easy right and necessary thing to do. I have no idea what is taking this judge this long to make a decision. Uber was in clear violation of all regulations. They were ethically and morally reprehensibl...

A Trolly crash on Channelside along with Gasparilla

It was bound to happen. A car hit the trolley on the way to the cruise ship today before the Gasparilla parade. The cross ways are poorly marked, and someone from out of town would not be looking for it, or expect it. Believe me, I have come very close in the past. I always thought those things were a bad idea for nobody rides them, and the conductors come flying through intersections. I wonder who was at fault. We were busy today as the pirate festival kicks off the start of our tourist season. May, 5 will mark the end.You will see me with my Corona beer that day drowning my sorrows for the party is over. That's what really sucks about the seasonal nature of Florida. Today was not a normal Gasparilla day for me. I was working the Westshore area and got three ship runs in a row. They were very nice people from up north that were amazed and loving the beautiful weather we are having. They wondered what all the fuss was about and I explained the pirate heritage of Tamp...

Sukka the cat

There is a lady I pick up every morning that puts $100 in my pocket (paid by our great accounts). Her cat comes out and loves me and rubs up on me every morning. Uber has nothing like this. United Cab driver's are rocking out while Uber punks live for nine dollar fares that they have to give 20% to Ubet. Great gig guys. LOL! Sukka loves me because I am legal and you scum drivers suck hind tit...boys and girls. Get over it. I rule and make more in one hour then you do in one day. Plus, this kitty loves me! posted from Bloggeroid