Skip to main content

The start to a bad night cab driving: part one

"I'm cold..Please turn the air up." She says after stumbling to my cab, and almost falling as she opened the door. One of the things cab drivers look for are signs that things will go smoothly and we will be paid. A bad sign is when fares start complaining before they even tell you were they are going. You really want to speak your mind and tell them that if she were actually wearing clothes, maybe she won't be so damn cold. You can't. You really can't. You want to be paid. Believe me, there is no other reason I am out at 2:30 in the morning when I could be home sleeping. I prepare for this; I just expect something else.

Bad experiences are common for cab drivers, as common as swamp water to a Florida hog hunter. As much as you trek through it and hope you've reached the end, stretching to the horizon and beyond is the swamp, with no hog in sight. It becomes the norm after a while. We deal with humans; we are not hauling packages.

I turn the air down actually, and she begins to tell me where she is going. It is now that I know she has not just been drinking - she is bombed. She struggles to not slur her words. "Azalea and Horatio." She says Considering where I picked her up, that will be a breeze. Just shoot down Henderson and hang a right on Horatio and where there. The start to my night may not be as bad as I thought it may be. No such luck. I hang a left on Henderson and she wants to know where the hell I'm going. "You want to go to 3000 Horatio, right?" I say.

"Your going the wrong fucking way" She says.

 She actually thinks we should be going south when north is the only way to get her there. I try to calm her down by saying she has had a little too much to drink and leave the driving to me. "Drinking. What makes you think I've been drinking?" She slurs in a barely audible tone. "Oh, nothing" I say. I am trying to humor her, and hope to get her home before she pukes or something. No chance. She just won't leave it alone.

"Your going the wrong fucking way." She continues.

 She is almost hostile at this point. "You cab drivers are all the same. You only want to take people the wrong way and jack up the fare. I demand you turn around." Now, she has pissed me off. I turn the car around. We will head in her direction and I will take her where she wants to go. I don't care now if we end up in the next county. It will be her way. She remains quite and we just keep moving along. We now roll up to the red light at Gandy and Manhattan. We just sit there and she looks around. One of the things late night drivers worry about is that the fare will fall asleep/pass-out and we won't be able to awake them. At least she is cognizant.

 "Where the fuck are we." She almost screams. "Where down on Gandy. What the fuck." "Ma'am, if you had listened to me in the beginning you would have been home and safe. Now, you got to deal with this shit. Just be quit and let me take you home." Miraculously, she agrees. I turn the car around and head north in the right direction. It does not take long and we are in her driveway, a total waste or twenty five minutes for a ten dollar fare.

 Oh, don't get me wrong, the meter does say $26 but there is no way she will pay it. She freaks when she sees it. "Don't worry about it m. Just pay ten bucks, that's what it would have been." I am trying to be a gentleman about this. You know what they say about no good deed. She gets out of the car and throws a ten spot through the window at me. "Asshole." She says and walks off into the night.

Comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts Last 30 days

FUCK UBER

Listen, you Uber fuckers, you screwheads. You are stealing my shit. I tried to be rational (What's that?). But not now. I am a man who will not take it anymore. A man who stands up against the scum, the cunts, the dogs, the filth, the shit. I am a man who stands up. Look at it this way. A man takes a job, you know? And that job - I mean, like that - That becomes what he is. You know, like - You do a thing and that's what you are. Like I've been a cabbie for nineteen years. Ten years at night. I still don't own my own cab. You know why? Because I don't want to. That must be what I want. To be on the night shift drivin' somebody else's cab. You understand? I mean, you become - You get a job, you become the job. One guy lives in a shit hole, another lives on drugs. You pick up a lawyer. Another guy's a doctor. Another guy dies. Another guy gets well. People are born, y'know? Why do you want to drive Uber? You think you can avoid your destiny? You'l...

The Taxi Truman Show

I may have found the escape hatch Regulated Taxi driving is now dead. Uber has taken over. The current situation is no longer tenable for drivers who face an old model of cab leasing, and can no longer continue paying a Pre-Uber lease. Today was the tipping point. This time of year we should be very busy...EXTREMLY BUSY. We are not. It is dead as a doornail with drivers at the airport waiting up to 5 hours to a ride. It should be off the hook. It is for Uber. They pay no fee to the airport, yet they are allowed to operate. I made a good living for years. Transportation was regulated in Hillsborough County. This insured uniformity or rates, insurance, and accountability. But no more. The HCPTC has now allowed a gypsy cab company take over. Uber has not only taken some or part of our business - they have taken it all. This is because they are low balling the market in an attempt to establish a monopoly. They are well on their way to doing that with the compl...

Sleeping with the enemy

I sort of stick out in this sea of pink I always seem to get on TV. This is Tim Fasano (in the yellow shirt with camera) sitting in the room full of Lyft and Uber drivers. Did you ever feel really alone? These rideshare people are operating an illegal business that is cutting into my livelyhood, and I wanted the Hillsborough County Commission to know it. The Lyft drivers are a bunch of punks and  kids who have never worked a day in their lives. They will get whats coming to them. How do you spell douchebags? You will see me in the video shown on the local news.

How Uber is hurting workers

Robert Reich is an economist who worked in Bill Clinton's cabinet. His problem with Uber and the "shared economy" is no sharing is going on. The worker absorbs all cost and risk, for less than minimum wage.

The Party Cab

I've seen this guy at Tampa airport before. He is the Party Cab Guy. The inside even has a disco light and he plays club music as he takes people out to party. Paul Hinton, manager at United Cab, said he remembers the guy from St. Petersburg. The Party Cab dude is personable and the chicks dig him. Paul thinks he is from Turkey and has a beautiful wife. I noticed he was wearing eye liner. Just another eclectic guy that drives taxi for a living. I saw him again today and he gave me his card. Thus dude is high energy and he puts a lot into it. It shows real ambition. Strange. Taxi driving is not an ambitious man's pursuit. However, I think he is independent which means he pays no high lease to the taxi overlords.  He is expending that energy in something that will really pay off. Good for him.

Key West Uber drivers face arrest

Uber faces another battle for its drivers in South Florida. Uber drivers in Key West will face arrest and a possible $500 fine if caught driving without a passenger vehicle-for-hire license, following a city ordinance that went into effect on July 1. The ordinance, which city commissioners approved last year, says it is illegal for Uber or any other ride service to operate passenger vehicles-for-hire without the proper licenses. Key West spokeswoman Alyson Crean said drivers without this license can be arrested, although no arrests have been made. Crean says the ordinance has to do with city liability, since Uber takes passengers on city roads. Uber uses freelance drivers operating their own vehicles; passengers hire them via an app. Uber spokesman Bill Gibbons says the company hopes Key West officials rethink the ordinance. "It is unconscionable that [Key West] would seek to limit safe, reliable transportation ahead of one of the deadliest weekends of the year for dru...

I voted

I voted for Rick Scott for Florida Governor. I felt he has done a responsible job. The state actually has a financial surplus because Scott cut all the pork out. We are not California which is insolvent after all the giveaway programs to poor Obama voters. Scott has kept regulations and taxes low creation a favorable business climate where firms are beginning to view Florida like Texas. Florida is poised for a massive boom. This is now going to be the place to be. I voted against the medical marijuana bill, as I did all constitutional amendments. The bills were vaguely worded and I believe deception was used to disguise their true intent. posted from Bloggeroid

Its not season

I don't care what any driver says, we ARE NOT having a tourist season. Cruise ship passengers on the weekend does not make a season. Its Monday morning and no airport flights are going out, just like all last week. I am not making money. I am on the brink of eviction. I owe the company money. I am wearing dirty clothes because I don't have the 5 bucks for Landry. I have nothing and I work 7 days a week, 10 hours a day. Something is wrong.

National Taxi strike called for October 26, 2014 against Uber & Lyft

Following the crowd is the opposite of the Uber Man...They want your mind...don't let them have it! There is more at stake then a ride to work. The battle for man's mind has begun. The Internet has made many things possible and reacting with incomplete information has had a debilitating effect on peoples behaviour and mental acuity. The ability to assess facts accurately has been diminished. When wide swaths of hipsters chose to use a ride share company because it has a slick app, without considering the consequences to society, then harm is being done. Ignoring that modern society is structured by law - they proceed anyway. This course must be redirected Back in the dark ages, villagers and townspeople would often react to a rumor and then take action swiftly to bring justice upon the presumed guilty party without waiting for the authorities to resolve it. The more emotionally attached people were to the crime, the less real or confirmed information they needed to follow...

Crossfit Training

A slamball, a kettlebell, and a 20 lb dumbbell These are my new toys. In my quest to transform my body, I have incorporated many aspects of the Crossfit theory. They combine combat style cardio with weight training in a dynamic, athletic way. The training is functional. For example, I will be 60 next month. From what I hear, there are people a little older than me that can't even get out of bed in the morning (or don't want to get out of bed in there mommies house). That will not be my fate. The best part of all this, is you can take it outside and enjoy the fresh air. I bring my toys with me. You workout three days in a row, then take one off.