Skip to main content

Uber storm on the horizon


Thunder crackles in the distance as I wait for a call on my tablet. Summer storms in Central Florida are one of the few predictable things left in my life. There is another storm brewing on the horizon and it will involve the future of all connected to the transportation industry In Tampa. There is a county commission meeting Friday which will be the final meeting to decide the fate of uber in the Tampa Bay area. These meetings have been going on for a year and a half and I'm at least relieved to know that some end may be in sight. It just seems to me that the rideshare companies have been dragging this out to gain time and an advantage. The real advantage may be ours in 20 days.

There have been many things I have counted on in my life to bring psychological security. One of those has been a sense of reliability in the systems that are in place to ensure order and our society. That, combined with a sense of right and wrong, allowed me to sleep well at night. I knew when I awakened in the morning that I would be facing predictability. Now, a company has come along that ignores all the rules that apply to their realm of operation and they have been getting away with that. This is wrong. This must stop. The rule of law and order must pre-sale.

Do not be confused people. Just because someone has a slick application and a novel business model, does not mean that they have any integrity, honor, or commitment to the community in which they operate. The transportation industry in Tampa is regulated to ensure the protection of the public and provide reliable insurance that folks will be picked up in a timely manner. Yes, there are antidotes about people being stranded by a rude taxi drivers, poor service, and so forth. But to be realistic about it, you can find those complaints in literally all industries. There is nothing about transportation that would make it immune from these type of urban myths.

The truth is that everyone benefits when you have rules in place. This is not just about a temporary cheap discount to gain a foothold and destroy businesses that have been in place for years, this is about serving a community and all of its residents, not just the hip people, the rich people, the coffee Cafe people, While ignoring a wide swath of the population that is poor and locks technology. I really hope the judge in this case will do the right thing as they have done in other counties in Florida, and throw these Uber bums out of town. Thank you.
posted from Bloggeroid

Comments

  1. Switch teams and enjoy your life and the money or turn your cab in and end your suffering..uber will be here for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Stop you're belly aching!..months ago you said you were moving back to Vegas?
    What happened to that? Here is an idea how about driving for uber yourself then you will have money!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts Last 30 days

FUCK UBER

Listen, you Uber fuckers, you screwheads. You are stealing my shit. I tried to be rational (What's that?). But not now. I am a man who will not take it anymore. A man who stands up against the scum, the cunts, the dogs, the filth, the shit. I am a man who stands up. Look at it this way. A man takes a job, you know? And that job - I mean, like that - That becomes what he is. You know, like - You do a thing and that's what you are. Like I've been a cabbie for nineteen years. Ten years at night. I still don't own my own cab. You know why? Because I don't want to. That must be what I want. To be on the night shift drivin' somebody else's cab. You understand? I mean, you become - You get a job, you become the job. One guy lives in a shit hole, another lives on drugs. You pick up a lawyer. Another guy's a doctor. Another guy dies. Another guy gets well. People are born, y'know? Why do you want to drive Uber? You think you can avoid your destiny? You'l...

The Taxi Truman Show

I may have found the escape hatch Regulated Taxi driving is now dead. Uber has taken over. The current situation is no longer tenable for drivers who face an old model of cab leasing, and can no longer continue paying a Pre-Uber lease. Today was the tipping point. This time of year we should be very busy...EXTREMLY BUSY. We are not. It is dead as a doornail with drivers at the airport waiting up to 5 hours to a ride. It should be off the hook. It is for Uber. They pay no fee to the airport, yet they are allowed to operate. I made a good living for years. Transportation was regulated in Hillsborough County. This insured uniformity or rates, insurance, and accountability. But no more. The HCPTC has now allowed a gypsy cab company take over. Uber has not only taken some or part of our business - they have taken it all. This is because they are low balling the market in an attempt to establish a monopoly. They are well on their way to doing that with the compl...

How Uber is hurting workers

Robert Reich is an economist who worked in Bill Clinton's cabinet. His problem with Uber and the "shared economy" is no sharing is going on. The worker absorbs all cost and risk, for less than minimum wage.

Sleeping with the enemy

I sort of stick out in this sea of pink I always seem to get on TV. This is Tim Fasano (in the yellow shirt with camera) sitting in the room full of Lyft and Uber drivers. Did you ever feel really alone? These rideshare people are operating an illegal business that is cutting into my livelyhood, and I wanted the Hillsborough County Commission to know it. The Lyft drivers are a bunch of punks and  kids who have never worked a day in their lives. They will get whats coming to them. How do you spell douchebags? You will see me in the video shown on the local news.

The Party Cab

I've seen this guy at Tampa airport before. He is the Party Cab Guy. The inside even has a disco light and he plays club music as he takes people out to party. Paul Hinton, manager at United Cab, said he remembers the guy from St. Petersburg. The Party Cab dude is personable and the chicks dig him. Paul thinks he is from Turkey and has a beautiful wife. I noticed he was wearing eye liner. Just another eclectic guy that drives taxi for a living. I saw him again today and he gave me his card. Thus dude is high energy and he puts a lot into it. It shows real ambition. Strange. Taxi driving is not an ambitious man's pursuit. However, I think he is independent which means he pays no high lease to the taxi overlords.  He is expending that energy in something that will really pay off. Good for him.

Key West Uber drivers face arrest

Uber faces another battle for its drivers in South Florida. Uber drivers in Key West will face arrest and a possible $500 fine if caught driving without a passenger vehicle-for-hire license, following a city ordinance that went into effect on July 1. The ordinance, which city commissioners approved last year, says it is illegal for Uber or any other ride service to operate passenger vehicles-for-hire without the proper licenses. Key West spokeswoman Alyson Crean said drivers without this license can be arrested, although no arrests have been made. Crean says the ordinance has to do with city liability, since Uber takes passengers on city roads. Uber uses freelance drivers operating their own vehicles; passengers hire them via an app. Uber spokesman Bill Gibbons says the company hopes Key West officials rethink the ordinance. "It is unconscionable that [Key West] would seek to limit safe, reliable transportation ahead of one of the deadliest weekends of the year for dru...

I voted

I voted for Rick Scott for Florida Governor. I felt he has done a responsible job. The state actually has a financial surplus because Scott cut all the pork out. We are not California which is insolvent after all the giveaway programs to poor Obama voters. Scott has kept regulations and taxes low creation a favorable business climate where firms are beginning to view Florida like Texas. Florida is poised for a massive boom. This is now going to be the place to be. I voted against the medical marijuana bill, as I did all constitutional amendments. The bills were vaguely worded and I believe deception was used to disguise their true intent. posted from Bloggeroid

National Taxi strike called for October 26, 2014 against Uber & Lyft

Following the crowd is the opposite of the Uber Man...They want your mind...don't let them have it! There is more at stake then a ride to work. The battle for man's mind has begun. The Internet has made many things possible and reacting with incomplete information has had a debilitating effect on peoples behaviour and mental acuity. The ability to assess facts accurately has been diminished. When wide swaths of hipsters chose to use a ride share company because it has a slick app, without considering the consequences to society, then harm is being done. Ignoring that modern society is structured by law - they proceed anyway. This course must be redirected Back in the dark ages, villagers and townspeople would often react to a rumor and then take action swiftly to bring justice upon the presumed guilty party without waiting for the authorities to resolve it. The more emotionally attached people were to the crime, the less real or confirmed information they needed to follow...

The summer solstice

This was sunrise Sunday beginning the longest day of the year. First light gets the birds riled early and the late darkness keeps this cab driver up late. Unfortunately, I need to get up earlier every day because goon cab drivers are trying to take my morning special from me. This morning, Jackamino (372) checked in at 3:57 for my call which will not come out until after six. For me to beat him, I would have to go to bed around seven p.m. like I was a little kid. The late sunset is making that a little bit difficult. posted from Bloggeroid

Crossfit Training

A slamball, a kettlebell, and a 20 lb dumbbell These are my new toys. In my quest to transform my body, I have incorporated many aspects of the Crossfit theory. They combine combat style cardio with weight training in a dynamic, athletic way. The training is functional. For example, I will be 60 next month. From what I hear, there are people a little older than me that can't even get out of bed in the morning (or don't want to get out of bed in there mommies house). That will not be my fate. The best part of all this, is you can take it outside and enjoy the fresh air. I bring my toys with me. You workout three days in a row, then take one off.